Indian nationals take grievances to Labour Ministry

IMG-20260521-WA0105

Indian nationals employed with EKAA HRIM Mining in Batavia, Region Seven, staged a protest outside the Ministry of Labour on Thursday, alleging exploitation, unpaid wages and unsafe working conditions at the company’s mining operation.

The workers said they went to the ministry to present their complaints after what they described as delays in receiving assistance and a resolution. They had previously met staffers at the ministry where they aired their grievances. The workers alleged that they were left without access to adequate food, transportation, medical care and wages after completing their contracts.

“We need only our money back. We need our ticket to go to India,” one worker said, appealing for urgent assistance to return home.

Another protester described unsafe conditions in remote work locations, saying a lack of emergency support placed workers at serious risk.

“If by one snake bite we have no proper transportation… anyone can die,” the worker said.

Several workers also claimed they had not been paid for months and were being housed in temporary accommodation while awaiting repatriation. “Food is not easy for 37 members,” another said, adding that their families in India were distressed by the situation.

The group further alleged that passports had been withheld and accused company officials of preventing them from leaving the country after their contracts ended, describing their experience as “modern-day slavery”.

Labour Minister Keoma Griffith said on Wednesday that the matter remains under investigation, noting that the passports of the affected workers were returned following intervention by the ministry.

“This is an ongoing process,” Griffith said, adding that ministry officials are “working around the clock to ensure that the rights of every person in this country are protected and that they are working safely in Guyana.”

Acting Indian High Commissioner Manoj Kumar said the High Commission is engaging local authorities to support the affected workers.

“We have to help,” he said, adding that efforts are ongoing to ensure the welfare of the nationals involved.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


About us

At Ignite News Inc., we are committed to delivering unbiased, accurate, and real-time news to the people of Guyana and beyond. Rooted in integrity, we strive to uphold the highest standards of journalism—ensuring every story we publish is factual, transparent, and free from bias. In an era of misinformation, our mission is to provide clarity and empower our readers to form their own opinions. We champion freedom of expression, cultural respect, and accountability, adapting to the ever-changing media landscape to better serve our audience. At Ignite News, truth is our foundation, and trust is our commitment.


CONTACT US

CALL US ANYTIME



Newsletter



    Categories