No approved fare hike for minibuses, taxis or speedboats, says Minister Edghill

Minister Edghill speaks during the meeting with transport operators

No increase in public transportation fares has been approved for minibuses, hire cars, speedboats or airport taxis, Public Works Minister Juan Edghill said on Monday, warning operators against charging commuters unauthorised rates.

Speaking during a meeting with transport operators and commuters at Stabroek Market Square, Edghill said approved fares remain unchanged.

“No fare increase has been approved by the Government, whether it is for speedboats, taxis, minibuses or hire cars. The fares remain the same. No Guyanese citizen, tourist, child or worker should be forced to pay increased rates,” Edghill said.

He added: “No driver has the authority to put a passenger out of their vehicle for refusing to pay unapproved fares.”
The meeting was convened following complaints from commuters about arbitrary fare hikes, particularly during periods of heavy traffic and peak seasons.

Tourism, Industry and Commerce Minister Susan Rodrigues said passengers are protected under laws governing public utilities and can file complaints with the Public Utilities Commission if they are overcharged.

“A public utility includes the carriage of passengers by motor vehicles, including minibuses and hire cars. Therefore, you can lodge a formal complaint with the Public Utilities Commission if you are charged above the approved fare structure,” Rodrigues said.

Government officials said measures introduced in recent years, including the removal of fuel taxes and reductions in duties on key commodities, were intended to cushion operators and consumers from rising global cost increases.

Director General of the Maritime Administration Department, Captain Stephen Thomas, warned that operators engaging in price gouging risk suspension or revocation of their licences.

“Operators who arbitrarily exercise price gouging will have their licences suspended or revoked,” Thomas said.
Thomas said authorities had already identified operators who allegedly left passengers stranded at the Parika and Bartica stellings over the weekend after refusing to operate at approved fares.

While maintaining its opposition to unauthorised fare increases, officials acknowledged concerns raised by operators about rising spare parts costs and said they would engage importers and distributors to examine possible interventions.

Edghill also directed all public transportation operators to prominently display approved fare structures inside their vehicles and vessels for passengers to see.

The government said it remains committed to maintaining an affordable, safe and equitable public transportation system while protecting both commuters and operators.

Transport operators at the meeting
Transport operators at the meeting

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


About us

At Ignite News Inc., we are committed to delivering unbiased, accurate, and real-time news to the people of Guyana and beyond. Rooted in integrity, we strive to uphold the highest standards of journalism—ensuring every story we publish is factual, transparent, and free from bias. In an era of misinformation, our mission is to provide clarity and empower our readers to form their own opinions. We champion freedom of expression, cultural respect, and accountability, adapting to the ever-changing media landscape to better serve our audience. At Ignite News, truth is our foundation, and trust is our commitment.


CONTACT US

CALL US ANYTIME



Newsletter



    Categories