
The Chinese Association of Enterprise has called for dialogue between its members and local truck drivers in an effort to reach an amicable solution over the hiring of operators for ongoing infrastructure projects in Guyana.
The appeal follows a protest by local truck drivers last week, who alleged that Chinese companies were taking over the domestic trucking industry.
In a statement on Tuesday, the association rejected the claims, saying logistical constraints and inconsistent availability of local transport services had compelled companies to establish their own trucking capacity.
It said Chinese enterprises had initially cooperated smoothly with local transport providers, but as project demand increased, local capacity became insufficient to meet the scale and continuity required for deliveries.
The association also said some providers experienced delays or suspended operations on weekends and public holidays, which it said disrupted project schedules.
To avoid delays, it said Chinese enterprises invested in their own transport fleets to meet contractual obligations, adding that the move was not intended to compete with local operators.
The association urged all parties to approach the dispute objectively, strengthen communication and work together to support Guyana’s development and bilateral relations.






