‘No Father’s Day for me,’ says Alston Mangar after losing son and grandson in Lesbeholden accident

Joseph Mangar with Jonathan and his sister in happier times

With Father’s Day just a month away, Alston Mangar of Adventure, Corentyne, is struggling to cope with the loss of his son, 32-year-old Joseph Mangar, and his four-year-old grandson, Johnathan Mangar, both of Limlair Village, Corentyne, Berbice, who died in a tragic accident.

The incident occurred on Wednesday afternoon along the Lesbeholden Public Road, Black Bush Polder, when the vehicle they were travelling in reportedly veered off the roadway and plunged into a canal.

Police said the accident happened at about 1:50 pm. Investigators said Joseph Mangar was driving motor car PYY 2317 south along the roadway when he allegedly lost control of the vehicle, causing it to end up in a canal on the western side of the road.

Public-spirited citizens rushed to the scene and pulled both occupants from the vehicle before transporting them to the Port Mourant Public Hospital, where they were pronounced dead on arrival.

Still in shock, Alston Mangar recalled the moment he received the devastating news while working on his farm.
“One of the boys came and asked me if everything was alright. I asked him why he was asking me that, and he started to cry.

He told me my son and grandson were in the trench,” he said.
By the time he arrived at the scene, the vehicle had already been removed from the canal and his son was lying motionless nearby.

He described Joseph as a humble, respectful and easy-going man.
“He was my best. Quiet, calm. Everybody knew him; he was easy and quiet,” he said, adding: “This morning he came by me and said, ‘Daddy, why are you going down to the farm in all this rain?’”
Fighting back tears, the elderly man said he is uncertain how he will move forward after the loss.

“I really can’t say how I am going to live with this. I only had one grandson. That was my second son. There’s going to be no Father’s Day for me,” he said.

Meanwhile, Joseph’s elder brother, Joshua Mangar, said he rushed to the scene after hearing the news and believes another vehicle may have been involved.

“People are saying a truck gave the car a shake, and you can see that if you overtake and hit mud, you can lose control and end up going off to one side. That’s what I observed,” he said.
Police have not confirmed that any other vehicle was involved.

The bodies of Joseph Mangar and his son have been taken to a funeral home, pending post-mortem examinations. Investigations are ongoing.

Alston Mangar
Alston Mangar

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


About us

At Ignite News Inc., we are committed to delivering unbiased, accurate, and real-time news to the people of Guyana and beyond. Rooted in integrity, we strive to uphold the highest standards of journalism—ensuring every story we publish is factual, transparent, and free from bias. In an era of misinformation, our mission is to provide clarity and empower our readers to form their own opinions. We champion freedom of expression, cultural respect, and accountability, adapting to the ever-changing media landscape to better serve our audience. At Ignite News, truth is our foundation, and trust is our commitment.


CONTACT US

CALL US ANYTIME



Newsletter



    Categories