Bath Settlement man remanded for stealing colognes, clothing and cash from boutique
Jai Chamanlall

Jai Chamanlall

A 30-year-old man accused of breaking into a boutique at Bath Settlement, West Coast Berbice, and stealing a quantity of merchandise and cash was on Friday remanded to prison after appearing before the Weldaad Magistrate’s Court.
Jai Chamanlall of Bath Experiment, West Coast Berbice, appeared before Magistrate Shivani Lalaram, where the charge was read to him. The allegation stated that between May 8 and May 9, 2026, he unlawfully entered the business place of Dhanmattie Sookhoo and removed a number of items along with cash.
Among the articles reportedly stolen were watches, colognes, track pants, artificial jewellery, music boxes, solar-powered devices, shoes, sneakers, slippers, gift sets, clothing, and approximately $100,000 in cash. The items were said to have a combined value amounting to several hundred thousand dollars.
Chamanlall, who appeared without legal representation, was not required to enter a plea to the indictable charge.
During the proceedings, Police Prosecutor Sergeant Garfield Edwards told the court that investigations into the matter are still ongoing and noted that another individual has also been implicated in the alleged break-and-enter incident.
The prosecutor further disclosed that some of the suspected stolen items were allegedly recovered from the accused. He also informed the court that Chamanlall had previously faced a similar offence and had reportedly failed to attend court while out on bail, resulting in his arrest.
Based on those submissions, the prosecution objected to bail, arguing that the accused posed a flight risk and was unlikely to return for future hearings if released.
After hearing the prosecution’s arguments, Magistrate Lalaram refused bail and remanded Chamanlall to prison. The matter was subsequently transferred to the Fort Wellington Magistrate’s Court, where it will continue on June 3.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


About us

At Ignite News Inc., we are committed to delivering unbiased, accurate, and real-time news to the people of Guyana and beyond. Rooted in integrity, we strive to uphold the highest standards of journalism—ensuring every story we publish is factual, transparent, and free from bias. In an era of misinformation, our mission is to provide clarity and empower our readers to form their own opinions. We champion freedom of expression, cultural respect, and accountability, adapting to the ever-changing media landscape to better serve our audience. At Ignite News, truth is our foundation, and trust is our commitment.


CONTACT US

CALL US ANYTIME



Newsletter



    Categories